Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tip # 12: Dialogues

By Anant Mathur (October 23, 2010)
 

When you hear good dialogues in a film, it makes it all the more enjoyable. A recent example of this is Dabangg, the dialogues are written and delivered so well, that it takes the film to another level. From the past, we are all familiar with the incredible dialogues of Sholay, which even today are echoed by every man, woman and child that’s seen the film.

Dialogues are an essential part of any great film. Thus, it is extremely important to keep dialogue fresh and entertaining and not bore the audience.

        INSTEAD OF THIS: 

                                        RAJ:
                        Have you ever fallen in love?

                                        MANDIRA:
                        No.

        TRY THIS:

                                        RAJ:
                        Ever fallen in love?

                                        MANDIRA:
                        No. I've slipped many times, but never 
                        fallen in love.

When the characters are face-to-face or in the same room you don’t need the “Have you”, we know he’s talking to the other character. And instead of replying "No", give the character a reason along with it to make it more interesting. Simple things like this polish the dialogue and make it more entertaining.

In a badly written script, it is very difficult to see emotions playing out. In a well written script, the emotions are described in detail. Unlike stories, in screenplays you can’t write he said, or she explained, you just have the words:

                                        MANDIRA:
                        I’m sorry about your loss, Raj.

Mandira’s emotions can be clarified with dialogue instructions, if required. For example:
 

        Mandira can empathize with Raj; she also lost a mother not too long ago.

                                        MANDIRA:
                                (hugs him, warmly) 
                        I’m sorry about your loss, Raj.

It is a common belief among screenwriters that dialogues shouldn’t be too long. A standard line of dialogue is 3 inches long. Three lines is the most a character should say at one go. When a character speaks he/she should be brief and not go on for five minutes – long speeches will bore the audience. If the dialogue is longer, it is better to break it down with interruptions or other characters speaking/asking questions.  It must be focused and polished. The following example illustrates this very point:
 

        POOR DIALOGUE 

                                        MANDIRA:
                        Where were you? I’ve been worried sick.
                        Why didn’t you call? I’ve searched
                        everywhere. When I called the school, they
                        said you left hours ago. I checked with
                        hospitals, I was about to call the police. I
                        don’t understand why you did this. Aren’t
                        you happy with me? Is there someone else
                        you’d rather spend your time with?

                                        RAJ:
                        I was walking around. You know how I am,
                        Sometimes I need to clear my head. You’re
                        right I should’ve called, I’m sorry. You know
                        there could never be anyone else. I love you.

Raj replies to all of Mandira’s question, but it’s hard to believe Mandira would understand what he’s saying. Trying to say too many things at once complicates things. Have the characters say one thing at a time or responding to one query.
 

        HOW ABOUT THIS: 

                                        MANDIRA:
                        Where were you? 

                                        RAJ: 
                        You know how I am, sometime I need to
                        clear my head.

                                        MANDIRA: 
                        Why didn’t you call? I’ve been worried sick.
                        The school told me you left hours ago, I was
                        about to call the police. 

                                        RAJ:
                        I’m sorry. I should’ve called. 

                                        MANDIRA: 
                        Aren’t you happy with me? Is there someone  
                        else?

        Raj walks over to her and kisses her forehead.

                                        RAJ:
                                (holding her tenderly)
                        You know there could never be anyone else.
                                (smiles)
                        I love you, darling.

   
© Anant Mathur. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.