Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Six Months? Six Months? Wow!

By Anant Mathur (September 15, 2010)
 

Last night, I happened to catch an interview with Deepika Padukone and Neil Nitin Mukesh promoting their film Lafangey Parindey. It must've been a repeat broadcast of the interview because Lafangey Parindey was released quite a few weeks ago.

At one point in the interview, Deepika pointed out that she spent six months training to learn how to roller skate. I couldn't believe my ears, six months? Thanks to PVR technology, I quickly rewound the last ten second to make sure. And yup, she said "six months."


When someone trains for six month I don't expect them to learn something as simple as roller skating! I expect them to jump out of the top floor of a twenty story building without any wires to support them.
 

I was 5 years old when I went roller skating for the first time. I still remember how petrified I was of the thought of moving around on those skates. But once my parents put them on me and took me around once, I was fine. After that it was a piece of cake. I did fall a few times as any beginner would, but I didn't find it all that difficult once I got the hang of it. By the end of the night, I was no pro, but it didn't take me six months to learn how to roller skate.
 

At age 20, I even learned to rollerblade (a.k.a. Inline Skating) and it took less than a week. When you compare - rollerblades have much thinner wheels and are all in one line - not side by side as in roller skates. Also, I learned on my own without a personal trainer. So when I hear six months, on wheels as wide as my feet, only one thought comes to my mind, how dumb is this woman! One can only imagine how long it must take her to learn the dance steps for her film songs.


© Anant Mathur. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: